The Candida Diet Protocol - Part 2
Foods That Fight!
If you’ve been on this journey with me for the past couple of weeks then you have probably already seen my full Candida blog which explains how many of the symptoms that average Americans are dealing with like brain fog, gut problems and fatigue may be caused by an overgrowth of a fungus called Candida.
In the most recent blog, I began breaking down the diet I have used with great success to get people free of Candida infection and feeling their best! Last week we discussed what not to eat. This week we are going to discuss some amazing supplements and super foods that are naturally ready to help you fight off fungal infection and get your health back on track!
I’m a big fan of natural nutrition. By that I meant that I think most people should attempt to get as much of the nutrients they need from eating a healthy balanced diet. That being said, sometimes our amazing systems get overwhelmed and may need a little something extra to get us back into good health, and this is where some well picked supplements come in.
Let’s start by recognizing that not all supplements are created equal. Vitamins, minerals and herbs all have forms that are really bioavaible. What that means is there is an ideal form that they should be in in order for them to be best absorbed into your body and used. This is why some supplements are super cheap and some are pricier. For example, let’s use folic acid. If one brand is using an easy to make form they can call it folic acid and sell it cheap, but did you know up to 20% of people are unable to process folic acid? A more diligent lab takes their time and money and formulates 5-MTHFolate, which sounds like a mouthful, but it’s simply the form that everyone can absorb. That being said, because they have to be more diligent in their processes, these supplements often cost a little bit more.
OK! Now that we’ve got a little background, let’s dive in to the few main supplements that I use to help people kick Candida to the curb!
1. GI-Synergy – This wonderful supplement can be found at Apex Energetics. It is a proprietary blend (meaning they’ll tell you what’s in it but not the amounts) of at least 15 different natural herbs/substances that are known for their anti-fungal, anti-microbial properties. In short, this stuff kills off and flushes out the bad stuff in your gut. I’m so happy that Apex makes this blend, because it contains so many different anti-fungals in one blend, that there is something in it that everyone can respond well to. Imagine how nuts it would be if you had to go buy 15 different herbs and then take them all a few times every day. Crazy. That why I like blended supplements like this one.
2. RepairVite – Another amazing blend from Apex Energetics, RepairVite is designed to target your gut lining. Many Candida and other overgrowths can start in our gut, and most of the body’s immune system is housed there as well. The main ingredient in RepairVite is L-glutamine, which has been shown to help repair and maintain the intestinal lining and keep the gut healthy. The herbal support blend that is in RepairVite will support the removal of toxins and bugs while the system heals, addressing the damage done by Candida overgrowth and helping to prevent reinfection. As a side note, L-glutamine is the perfect example of the “bioavailability” we discussed above. Glutamine comes in two forms, L-glutamine and D-glutamine. A supplement maker can simply call either of these glutamine. But, while L-glutamine has been shown to have all the aforementioned benefits in the body, D-glutamine has been shown to have little function in humans. So if you catch the drift here, it’s important to buy reputable supplements so that you aren’t duped into buying something useless!
3. Probiotics – A buzzword these days, most people know what probiotics are. But just in case, probiotics are forms of beneficial, or what we call the “good” gut bacteria that helps our GI tract stay healthy. There really aren’t “good” and “bad” bacteria, but some are prone to overgrowth and adding in more of the other forms simply helps keep the system balanced and prevents these overgrowths. While my favorite brands of high quality, broad spectrum probiotics are Therapeutic Pearls and BioDoph 7 Plus, I highly recommend you work with a functional medicine practitioner to figure out which probiotics your system needs since not everyone is the same. Seriously, I carry at least eight different probiotics in my office!
That’s it for supplements! Like I said, I’m not a fan of having a cabinet full of supplements that must be taken every day for life in order to be healthy. I want people to be able to live a relatively healthy lifestyle and to use supplements when their system just needs a little help!
Now, Foods that Fight!
Our world is so cool. Did you know that there are actually natural foods out there that we can eat that have natural properties that fight fungus, bacteria and viruses?! This means that the more we know about these and can add them into our well balanced diet, the less we will be ill and have to lean on medications that come with side effects*.
The Top Anti-Microbial Foods:
1. Olive – olive oils, olive leaf and olive extracts have amazing anti-microbial properties. They also contain oleuropein which has been shown to help control blood sugar, which as we saw in our last blog will help us keep our yeast under control. Do not use olive oil to cook as it cannot withstand being heated without breaking down. It is best used as a dressing/condiment or even taking in supplement form along with the leaf.
2. Coconut – coconut products, specifically coconut oil, contains Lauric acid and Caprylic acid, both of which are known for the anti-fungal properties. Use coconut oil to cook, add it to recipes in places of other oils, even try taking a plain teaspoon of it by itself.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar – while most fermented products are off limits on an anti-Candida diet, apple cider vinegar has actually been shown in the lab to inhibit the growth of candida and so is highly recommended here. It can be used nicely as a salad dressing, taken diluted in water, or even as a shot if you’re feeling really adventurous!
This wraps up our series here on Candida! We hope that you were able to really get a handle on what is going on inside your body and whether an anti-candida protocol is something that you need right now. If you’re still feeling unsure, check out the full Candida Protocol here, or you can also contact us at Whole Health & Wellness to find out how we can help you further.
If you started your protocol with the first blog, then congrats, you’re about half way there! Keep up the good work, and feel free to share with us any results, or how you feel doing the protocol!
Missed our supplement links? No worries, I've got you covered!
BioDoph 7 Plus – https://www.dssorders.com/dnswexd.asp?id=2336
Therapeutic Pearls - https://www.dssorders.com/dnswexd.asp?id=3927
*eating anti-microbial foods is not meant to be used as a substitute for antibiotics in cases where an infections requires medical intervention. If you have an acute infection be sure to discuss all options with your general practitioner
Whole Health & Wellness
10807 Big Bend Road
St. Louis, MO 63122
P: (314) 269-3847